What is Salary Sacrifice and is it different from a Novated Lease?
Salary Sacrifice is simply sacrificing a part of your salary back to your employer who will use this money to pay for a non cash benefit, in the case of a novated lease the benefit is a car.
Novated Leasing is Salary Salary sacrifice for a car and is a financial arrangement in which an employee gives up part of their salary in exchange for a non-cash benefit, such as a car. This can be a tax-efficient way for employees to acquire a vehicle. Here’s how it typically works:
- Agreement: The employee and the employer agree on a salary sacrifice arrangement. This involves the employee sacrificing a portion of their pre-tax salary in exchange for a car.
- Car Selection: The employee selects a car within certain parameters set by the employer or a leasing company. The car is usually provided through a novated lease, where the lease is in the employee’s name but the employer takes on the responsibility of lease payments.
- Lease Payments: The cost of the car, including lease payments, insurance, and other associated costs, is deducted from the employee’s salary before tax. This can result in a lower taxable income for the employee.
- Tax Savings: Since the lease payments are deducted from the employee’s pre-tax salary, they pay less income tax. This can be a significant advantage and is one of the main reasons why salary sacrifice car schemes are popular.
- Employer’s Role: The employer deducts the agreed-upon amount from the employee’s salary each pay period and uses it to cover the lease payments and associated costs.
- Duration of the Agreement: The salary sacrifice arrangement is typically for a set period, often 2 to 5 years. At the end of the lease term, the employee may have the option to purchase the car, refinance the lease, or return the car.
It’s important to note that the tax implications and specific details of salary sacrifice car schemes can vary by country and region. Additionally, changes in employment or salary could impact the arrangement, and there may be considerations regarding the employee’s responsibilities in the case of job changes or termination.
Before entering into a salary sacrifice car agreement, it’s advisable to seek financial advice to ensure that it is the right choice for your individual circumstances, taking into account your financial goals and the specific terms of the arrangement.
EV’s are now 100% tax free to Salary Sacrifice.
Click on one of the buttons below to try our new 100% Tax-free EV Calculator or visit our new EV site detailing every tax-free EV and PHEV available in Australia under $89,332.
For more information, please contact us on 1300 990 880 or click the button below.